May 15, 2010

Robin Hood

It's +28 degrees outside, sun is shining in the clear sky, nowhere to be and nothing to do - and what do I do? I go to sit in a dark, cool room to stare at Russell Crowe for two and a half hours. In other words, to a four o'clock showing of Robin Hood. It was quite a shock afterwards to step out of the green woods of medieval Nottingham and straight into busy, sunny streets, where people walked with cell phones and wore normal clothes. When it's darker the illusion doesn't break so suddenly.


Robin Hood (2010)


Directed by Ridley Scott. Starring Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Mark Strong, Max von Sydow, William Hurt, Oscar Isaac.

Long story short: Robin Longstride is an archer in the army of Richard Lionheart and on his way into becoming the legendary Robin Hood.

Robin Hood was... long.

...

Haha, okay. Let's see, seriously now, where to begin? Let's begin at Russell Crowe. It's been ten years since Gladiator and he still knows how to become charismatic leader of the lesser in the society. (Obviously there are a lot of parallels between these two Scott/Crowe films, but I'm not going to mockingly talk about "Gladiator 2" or anything, let's just be nice.) Crowe has a great voice, one I could listen to for hours (maybe even more than two and a half!). He didn't rock my world, but gave a good, solid performance!

Cate Blanchett is splendid, one of the most powerful leading actresses in Hollywood, I think. I liked that at times she actually almost looked like she'd been working her ass off and been hungry for seven years. Still she was beautiful, of course, it takes more than that to make her not look beautiful. Her character was my favourite. And there was some very nice chemistry between her and Crowe, really!


Lots of other familiar faces, too... Mark Strong, once again as a believable bad guy. (Has he EVER played anyone even slightly GOOD...? Haha.) Also, Fred Flintstone (Mark Addy that is), Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) and that doctor from ER (Scott Grimes). And of course Kevin Durand, or as I like call him, Martin Keamy! He's been the most evil ruthless cold blooded badass character in all six seasons of Lost, so cheers to Martin, er, Kevin! ("What does it look like we're doing? We're shooting things.") This is him as Keamy, couldn't find any good photos of him as Little John. Shame. (Not!)


Back to Nottingham, hmm? Personally I think the film was too long. It dragged at times. Too many battles. (Okay, that's just my girly opinion, but it got a bit boring to watch those action sequences one after another... Especially as they all felt quite the same.) Nothing groundbreaking, nothing new, really, I've seen many of these historic action epics before.

... I might sound too harsh now! I didn't hate it, no no no, just wasn't blown away. Still, I'm glad I went to see it in cinema, that's how it should be seen. I got quite a few shivers (and I think they weren't ALL caused by the cool temperature). Some none-action scenes were very enjoyable, especially those with Robin's gang and those between Robin and Marion. And the end credits were very nice!

I still think the Scott/Crowe film I've enjoyed the most is A Good Year. Yeah yeah, call me a girly girl. A Beautiful Mind was interesting too, and Gladiator, of course. All these beat Robin Hood in my book, but again I must point out, I didn't think it was bad. Just... long.

"And so the legend begins."

No comments: