May 11, 2010

My favourite TV shows 4/5

2. (part 2/2) Extras



Sharing the second place with Glee is a little British TV show called Extras. I first got familiar with Extras through a friend, who showed me some YouTube clips. I was immidiately convinced that I would like this show, so I bought both seasons and the Christmas special from London. And I'm glad I did!

Extras is about, as it says in the poster's wonderfully ambiguous tag line, the story of a man with small parts. In other words, it's about Andy Millman, who works as a movie extra and desperately tries to gain bigger roles and fame. Ricky Gervais plays the leading role in a very hilarious way, and he's also pretty much behind the whole show.

This is British humour at its best! The main characters get themselves into awkward and embarrassing situations, and it gets even worse when they try to talk themselves out of them. The word I'd like to use here is "myötähäpeä", but I don't know if there's a word for it in English. Anyway, at times, "myötähäpeä" is almost unbearable!

You have to give some respect to these world-class actors, who agree to star in a small tv show, only to make fools out of themselves. And they've got some HUGE stars! Ian McKellen, Samuel L. Jackson, freaking Robert DeNiro! What's funny is that they always play "themselves", or rather the parodies of themselves. It's great to see that some superstars are still willing to laugh at themselves. Here are a few examples of my favourite guest star appareances in Extras.

Kate Winslet talks dirty. In a nun costume. "Oh fuck my fucking knees!" And this one's almost a legend: "If you do a Holocaust movie, you're guaranteed an Oscar." Indeed you are. Ricky Gervais knows best. And I just love Kate Winslet! Seriously, who doesn't!

Orlando Bloom is over-confident about his charm. Plus bitterly mocks Johnny Depp. Who knew the pretty-faced, constantly confused-looking Legolas can do comedy? And I thinks it's so amusing how Maggie isn't even slightly interested in Orlando, although she tries to hit on basically every other man.

Daniel Radcliffe tries to loose his good-boy-imago. I just genuinely like Daniel! Not his acting in particular (though in addition to Extras, I've only seen him as that boy who does magic and stuff and has like a weird scar on his forehead, can't remember the name...), nor his looks, but I just like how he seems so abnormally... normal! I base this assumption on all the interviews I've seen and read. I really wish him only success for his post-Potter life. (Gosh, remembered the name, after all.) Right, and Daniel in Extras. He's SO FUNNY. SERIOUSLY! (Sorry for exploiting the caps lock, but he's HILARIOUS.) "I've done it! With a girl. Intercourse-wise." Ooooooh dear god...

I also have to mention this wonderful line delivered by Chris Martin of Coldplay (he's doing one of these "hey, many people die because of the lack of clean water, please help!" ads): "Can we get on with this? I've got to do AIDS and Alzheimer's and landmines this afternoon and I wanna get back for Deal Or No Deal. Plus Gwyneth's making drumsticks."

However, it's not only the celebrity guest stars that make extras funny. The main cast is awesome, too. Some of the funniest scenes are the ones between Andy and his, frankly, idiotic agent Darren. Just a flash of that stupid grin and I'll start loosing it... And of course there's Shaun Williamson playing Shaun Williamson, or, as he's often refered to as, Barry off Eastenders.

And here's my favourite: Maggie Jacobs, Andy's best friend. She's just, um... kind of slow? She also has that wonderful accent. She and Andy work just perfectly together. I could give you a dozen examples, but here's one:

Maggie: "I think I need to go for a wee. That's the third one already..."
Andy: "Good. Well, keep me posted throughout the week. Maybe keep a journal."

And another one...

Now I'll stop before this gets out of hand.



Number one will have to wait until the end of the month, when the best show ever ends and possibly my life as I know it, too.

Iron Man 2 tomorrow! I can't believe I'm going to pay for it, I didn't even like the first one that much! Well, anything for RDJ... And sure, Sam Rockwell comes with the bargain, too. I'll report back to you!

2 comments:

Eve said...

Never heard of this show before but I loved the clips! Especially Orlando's jealousy over Johnny Depp and Daniel was hilarious!! Loved Kate Winslet too, definitely my favorite actress.

I went to see Iron Man 2 couple of days ago too (couldn't miss RDJ on a big screen!) and I think it wasn't too bad (then again, I loved the first one).

Eeva said...

I think Extras is possibly the funniest tv show ever, so if you ever have a chance to watch it, please do! :)

Ooooh, I hope I'll like it too! But even if I didn't, it'll be worth it! I haven't seen RDJ on big screen since, er, Sherlock Holmes (x2)...