May 12, 2010

Iron Man 2

Watched the newest episode of Lost and... just... confusion. And it's not the good kind of confusion. I liked the episode, alright, but not how it left me feeling. Only ONE episode left before the FINAL finale EVER. I've always wanted to trust the writers, trust Damon and Carlton, trust that they'll come up with a briliant ending, trust that in the end it'll all make sense... What the **** am I going to do if it won't happen? What if I absolutely hate the ending, what if it's all left just... ambigious? It would totally ruin my fanatic fanaticism of six years! Has this all been for NOTHING?? ... Okay okay, I'm going a bit John Locke here... Sometimes it's tough to be so fanatic. Relax. Breath. They know what they're doing. Don't loose your faith, it's never good when someone looses their faith. That's how the Hatch blew up and I loved the Hatch!

Alright now. I'll save the rest for my Official Lost Post. Now I need an episode of Glee to clear my mind and deactivate my brain. And then Iron Man 2 to finnish the job.

5 hours later:

Mission accomplished. My faith is restored. Surely it'll all be alright. Thank you, brainless entertainment. You can always be trusted!



Iron Man 2 (2010)


Directed by: Jon Favreau. Starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, Mickey Rourke.

Long story short: Tony Stark has gone public: he is Iron Man. But now he faces some new problems, involving the goverment, deadlier enemies, his least favourite person in the world and oh, that shiny thingy on his chest that's keeping him alive is also slowly killing him. No biggie.

I wasn't a big fan of the first Iron Man, so I went to see the sequel with pretty low expectations; that's why I probably enjoyed it a lot more than many hardcore fans did. It was what pretty much every sequel is: the stakes are higher, the budget is bigger, the story is not so important. But that was okay with me! That's why I paid for the ticket (my brother didn't do that for me this time, boohoo!), that's why I went to the cinema: to be entertained. I was! Thus, this films was successful.


I love Robert Downey Jr., and he's just the perfect man to play Tony Stark. That's what he does best: an arrogant, witty, fast-talking, stubborn, yet charming character, to whom we forgive every silly thing he does, because he's just irresistable. (Tony Stark still doesn't beat Sherlock Holmes in my book! God I'm waiting for that sequel, hurry, will you!) I liked the pictures of young RDJ in the magazines! (Though he is like wine, when it comes to looks and getting older.) Another bullseye for RDJ, and yes, I think he really deserves it. And he should keep doing these shallow blockbusters if it's fun for him. Of course I love him when he gets more serious, too (Chaplin, anyone? Wow), but he can leave the drama for later.

It is really quite a shame that the Iron Man costume should be like that. All that muscle RDJ has goes in vain when it's hidden inside all that... iron. Or whatever the material really was. Also, it looks very dumb without the helmet. That's why for example Spider-Man's costume is so much better. It's so close-fitting that it lets all those sweaty hours in the gym show!

(Yes, I actually think things like that.)


The rest of the cast, then. I don't always like Gwyneth Paltrow (because her name is so damn difficult to spell!), but she's fine as Pepper Potts, who by the way has the funniest name ever. I want to be called Pepper Potts! I liked that they cast Scarlett Johansson as the sexy ninja secretary instead of some Angelina Jolie/Megan Fox kind of babe. (And that pepper spray knock-out was so much cooler than all the ass-kicking!) Don Cheadle has replaced Terrence Howard as Rhodey, and that's alright. Mickey Rourke is awesome as always. And I didn't expect Samuel L. Jackson, so that was a nice surprise. Nothing like some textbook badass-ing to spice up a movie.

But well well well, someone almost stole the spotlight from RDJ - I mean that's how I felt, and if I think that someone is stealing the spotlight from RDJ, that's SOMETHING. Say hi to your nemesis...



Sam Rockwell! I re-discovered this guy when I watched Moon (extremely good film, by the way, see it if you haven't yet!). Before that I remembered him from his brilliantly creepy role in Green Mile (and that was like three centuries ago, what has he been doing all this time...? Need to do some research. Beware, my must see list, you are about to get even more crowded). He was great as Justin Hammer. And so funny, presenting the weapons with a lollipop in his mouth, and doing that stupid dance on the stage, ha ha... And I simply like the way he talks! How his voice kind of "breaks" in the end of some words... But I suppose we won't be seeing him in anymore. Shame.

Iron Man always been about that über developed super sophisticated technology, and some of that goes over my head but that's alright. And once again we got a proof that computers are bad for you! At some point they always go out of control, and hello international mayhem and various casualties, which aren't worth babbling about later. (Speaking about those lousy computers, apparently some browsers don't show my blog properly. Great, just what I like, technical difficulties! I'm so great at solving them, I actually enjoy it! I could do it for recreational purposes! In other words, aaargh.)

When we got out of the cinema, my brother immidiately listed all the Marvel references he had spotted. ("God you're a geek", I said.) One of them was the mentioning of The Avengers, which is also the name of a film RDJ has been attached to. So... I guess we can expect some more Tony Stark in the future. And of course there's no way they are putting this money-maker franchise into rest just yet. So, Iron Man 3, we're ready when you are.

"Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to exit the donut."

4 comments:

Eve said...

(RDJ should've won an Oscar for Chaplin!)

I'm glad you liked Iron Man 2! I think it's perfect when you need almost brainless entertainment. And I agree, Sam Rockwell was great! Had to check where he's been, and he was in Charlie's Angels as Eric Knox! Loved him in that too. Definitely need to check out more of his work.

Btw, when I was writing this thing for the first time, my computer was SO trying to take over!! The cursor stopped moving for no reason and Ctrl-Alt-Delete wasn't working. (And just now it highlighted text without me doing anything!) Then I shut it down, hahaha! Victory. And am I tired? Yes.

Eeva said...

(Indeed he should've! He was brilliant! But if you HAVE TO loose to someone, it should be Al Pacino, so could be worse.)

I checked his filmography too, and I've seen some movies he's been in, but never really noticed him for some reason! Have you seen Moon? It's awesome and he's awesome in it.

AAAAA, it's happening, little by little!! Next your computer starts writing and sending posts by itself and soon it'll be walking around killing people! But for now, you 1 your computer 0. Good job. (You're tired? That makes two of us. Sigh.)

Eve said...

I haven't seen Moon yet, but it's definitely on my Must See -list! Now that I now Sam Rockwell's in it, I just have to buy it.

I'm DOOOOOMED!!! I just KNEW there was something wrong with this thing!

Eeva said...

Moon is pretty much a one man show, and Sam Rockwell is SO GOOD. I don't understand why he hasn't done more leading roles, because he definitely can! When you watch it, write about it, I'd love to know what you think. :)