May 20, 2010

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

This is me preparing for tomorrow's phonetics re-take. Ta-dah.


Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)

Directed by George Clooney. Starring Sam Rockwell, George Clooney, Drew Barrymore, Julia Roberts.

Long story short: A television producer Chuck Barris is recruited by CIA and trained to be a hitman. According to Chuck Barris, that is.

I made a little mistake. I looked at the background of the film after I watched it, when I really should've done it beforehand. I didn't totally understand what it was all about until afterwards, which obviously was a bit of a shame. So. I need to watch it again sometime, from another point of view.. Because I realised - a bit late, but anyway - the film was really quite interesting!

As I learned just now, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is based on a book by the real Chuck Barris. Who apparently did quite a lot of drugs and imagined he was living a double life. Cool, eh? I think I need to read that book.

I think this is the first film by Mr. Clooney I've seen. He also plays one of the main roles. I never really understood how that works in practice... Like does he say to himself: "Now George, in this scene I want you to be a bit more like mysterious but still seem like really trustworthy, you know what I mean, George?" Anyway. He is always nice to watch. And Julia Roberts should do more roles like this. Maggie Gyllenhaal was wonderfully unappealing and I loved the two-second cameos by Matt Damon and Brad Pitt! (Speaking of which... Today I had the last lecture of my North America course, and I was forced to talk for the first time, because the lecturer saw how I reacted on a question he asked. So, the only topic I gave my opinion on during the whole course was Brad Pitt. That suggests something about where my interests lie...)
Okay. Here's the reason I watched this film. I'm currently educating myself on a field called Sam Rockwell. Oh what a noble branch of sciece! He was great is this film, too. My hypothesis is that he doesn't know how to be not great. Poor guy. I also liked Drew Barrymore. And they worked nicely together. Next stop, Charlie's Angels...
 I also like that Sam was naked quite a lot. Just my humble opinion.

The game shows were funny. And the funniest thing is they're all real. God, what - excuse me - crap people watch, and voluntarily. The Game Game...? Haha. Right. Clearly a work of genious. And the ending made the whole film quite touching, too. I have to hunt down the book.

I have no idea under what genre I should place this. It was a biography, drama, comedy, thriller, but what was is the most? Maybe I'll put it under biography because that part is still empty. Although drama might be more accurate, but I watch too much dramas. That section is already crowded.

"You're 32 years old, and you've achieved nothing. Jesus Christ was dead and alive again by 33. You better get crackin'." 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haaa! Sam Rockwell koulu käynnissä, olit nopee :O) On se vaan niin käsittämättömän hyvä..

Eeva said...

Kyllä kyllä, eihän näin tärkeä asia voi odottaa. ;D

Insomnia said...

Tulin kurkkimaan sun blogia ja tykkään tosi paljon. On jotenkin tosi virkistävää lukea englanninkielistä tekstiä, varsinkin kun joku kirjottaa sitä noin hyvin. Tuun varmasti lukemaan sun kirjotuksia jatkossakin. :)

Eeva said...

Voi, kiitos paljon! Mukava kuulla että tykkäät. :)