Nov 21, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010) - please marry me, Rupert Grint!


directed by David Yates / starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Ralph Fiennes

FINALLY, I saw this. I felt as if I was the last one on Earth to see it. Well, now it's done... And it's time to sit down comfily and prepare ourselves for yet another wait. Sigh. Oh well, it's the last wait. The very last wait. Ever! ... Oh no.

I think I don't have to give you a summary of the plot. The world is an evil and dangerous place, which is made clear from the very first words spoken and they never let us forget it - unlike in the previous instalment, which once in a while felt like a good old cheery romantic comedy (and which I loved, by the way!). The Deathly Hallows is my favourite book of the whole series, because I never felt so many emotions, so strongly, when reading a book - meaning I cry like a baby everytime I read it, and sometimes of joy, too. So, I wanted the film to be good and pretty much trusted it would be, too. And it was, of course. We've come a long way from the 11-year-old squeaky Daniel Racliffe and the clumsy first films.


I am very happy that they split the last book into two films. Squeezing all that into two and a half hours would've been a mission impossible, or alternatively, a very lousy film. I liked that we didn't need to rush from one scene to another. I mean, of course the pace was fast again, but it was no Goblet of Fire, thank god. So we had time for all the the lingering shots of the breathtaking views in the coast and in the woods (I want to go to England. Oh and I freaked out, very subtly though, when they were in London and I saw one of those Best of Britain bears, from the shops where they sell souveniers, and I was like "I've hugged one of those!", and then they said they were on Shaftesbury Avenue and I was like "That's where I went to see the James McAvoy play!", so now I want to go to London too, again... Anyway.).

Also, it was great that there was time for the main trio to actually interact and their relationships to develop a bit. And I loooooooved that little dance scene. And how it fit there so unexpectedly well. Aww. And Godric's Hollow was beautiful. And pretty creepy! I hope I the poor kids won't have nightmares. Oh and I loved that the story of the Deathly Hallows had been animated! Quite clever.
 
Even though they didn't leave as much out as usually, there was still something I was left missing. Most of all, the farewells to the Dursleys. I know they're idiots, but I love that scene in the book. It's a perfect closure for the horrible relationship Harry had to his horrible relatives. And Dudley gets to redeem himself a bit. That I missed the most. Also I hope there'll be more Dumbledore in the last film. However, most of my favourite scenes were there. The funniest bit was the seven Harrys. I can just imagine how fun that scene was to shoot. The last stand of Hedwig caused a little lump on my throat and I was thrilled to see Dobby again. I was very much looking forward to seeing Ron's comeback and him destroying the horcrux, and it was very well made. Creepy. Very 'the-eye-of-Sauron-talking-to-Frodo-through-the-Ring'-like. And Rupert Grint was great. Oh do I get to talk about Rupert Grint now? Yay!


Ron has established his position as my favourite a long time ago (Weasley is my king!), and Rupert Grint always manages to capture the essence of him. He's one of the few characters that in the films correspond with my own mental images pretty much perfectly. (Bellatrix is another one of those. And Snape, maybe.) I always enjoy his sarcastic comments and awkward facial expressions that lighten up the mood, but the gloomy, angry Ronald was awesome, too. All the other actors did a good job, too. Emma Watson didn't act with her eyebrows as much as before, or at least I didn't notice them enough to be annoyed. And that torture scene killed me a bit. Daniel Radcliffe is also becoming more and more natural. And of course I've had a soft spot for him since I saw him in Extras.

There has always been loads of awesome British actors doing minor roles in the Potter films. It's almost distracting if you start thinking about it... All the other films they've worked together in and all the other awesome roles. Once in a while I couldn't stop my mind from wandering, and thus I kept expecting Rufus Scrimceour to start singing "I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes" and Voldemort to smash a phone against a table and yell "YOU'RE an inanimate fucking object!". They didn't, though. Shame.


The downside of the split book turned out to be that I kept glancing at my watch and thinking "oh hurry up, will you, you still have loads of chapters to go". And most importantly, as there was no real ending, the film failed to give me the certain sense of satisfaction - instead there's a bit frustration, because you know you have to start waiting again and there're long six months ahead before we get the closure. But I'm 99,99 % sure it'll be worth it. It can't be nothing less than FREAKING EPIC.

 Also, since it's been a few years since I last read the books, I've hereby decided that as soon as I manage to finally tackle the last chapters of The Return of the King, I sit down, grap The Philosopher's Stone and won't get up before "all is well". Though I might take a nap somewhere after the fourth book...  Anyway. I had almost forgotten how much I love that world and those characters. And it would be a crime to actually let that happen.

P.S. What was the translation of the 'saint-like' joke about? I mean, the book's translation is not worth mentioning, either, but Van Gogh? Seriously??

P.P.S. This post is horribly incoherent and clumsy. Sorry.


"The Elder Wand, the most powerful wand ever made. The Resurrection Stone. The Cloak of Invisibility. Together, they make the Deathly Hallows. Together, they make one master of death."

7 comments:

Marja said...

The funniest moment in the theater was the moment the film faded to black and the end credist started rolling. So many voices yelled "Nooooo!" and "Are you KIDDING ME!". If was hilarious! I can't believe that they really didn't know that the film was split in two :).

Like you, I'm going to hit the books as soon as I'll have the time! It's been years since I've visited the Philosopher's Stone.

Eeva said...

Haha, that's amusing. :D Poor ignorant people!

June said...

Nope, this post was great, you said almost all the things I should've said.. But instead of writing them down, I was just far too lazy and wrote only a small review of the film.

You're right about the ending - it definitely left a huge anticipation for part 2. I can't belive we actually have to wait so many months!!

Eeva said...

There was nothing wrong with your post, I quite enjoyed it! ;)

And yeah, I know, summer seems so impossibly far away... I guess I'll just spend the time reading the books like ten times and watching the older movies. Sigh.

Leena said...

Kuten sanottu, loistava päätös jakaa leffa kahtia! Rahastakoot sydämensä kyllyydestä.

Horocruxin tuhoamisen päätteeksi olisin kaivannut jotain "She's like a sister to me" -tyylistä, kuten kirjassa, koska nyt siihen jäi vähän toisenlainen vaikutelma.

Jotain muutakin pientä oli, mutta en enää muista. Mennäänkö kattomaan se uudestaan, kun tuut tänne?

Eeva said...

En tiedä voiko sitä edes laittaa rahastamisen piikkiin, olis se tarinan yhteen elokuvaan tunkeminen ollut vaan silkka mahdottomuus!

Totta muuten, mulla tuli sama mieleen siinä kohdassa! Jotain jäi vähän uupumaan.

Mennään vaan. Jos sä maksat. ;) (En kyllä tiedä koska pääsen sinne tulemaan taas...)

Anonymous said...

Very well put, I thoroughly enjoyed your review!

:D I, too, kept wishing Nighy would scream "CHRIST-MAS is all around me!" and he didn't! How sad!

Part of the problem was the way they changed Scrimceour's character: in the book he's an ass but in the film he's just some jolly old fellow bringing presents (Christmassy?) to the children.

And the Van Gogh- gag, really? I mean, REALLY? What a poor translation indeed, hah!