Jun 8, 2010

My TOP 5 favourite (nice) robots

Yesterday's Moon rewatch inspired me to do this list. These are five of my favourite robots! ... This was actually an easy one, mostly because I wouldn't call myself a sci-fi expert, and these five were pretty much the only likable ones I came up with. I didn't want Schwarzenegger on my list - with all due respect of course, Mr Governor! I'm not very much into ruthless killing machines, so I'll leave Optimus Prime and co. out of my list, too. Call me a sissy, but I like my robots nice and sympathetic! Or just handsome.


5. Gigolo Joe (Artificial Intelligence: AI)


I admit, it's been a while since I saw Spielberg's futuristic sci-fi fairytale, but as it popped into my mind when making this list, I began to plan a rewatch. I was quite young when I saw AI, and it'd be interesting to see how I like it now. Jude Law's Gigolo Joe looks like Barbie's Ken in the picture indeed is what the name suggests: a lover robot. I wanted to include him on my list, because he is handsome there is something very tragic about this film and yet it is fascinating and same goes with the character. I think the quotes summarize it better that I can say:

"We are the guiltless pleasures of the lonely human being. You won't get us pregnant or have us to supper with mommy and daddy. We work under you, we work on you and we work for you. Man made us better at what we do than was ever humanly possible."

"They hate us, you know... The humans. They'll stop at nothing."



4. Marvin (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)


Marvin is very depressed. He's stuck with a bunch of idiots, and he can't put his enormous brain into action. There is really nothing that could cheer him up. After all, he's programmed to be depressed, the poor robot! Voiced by the wonderfully smooth Alan Rickman in the 2005 version of Douglas Adams' hilarious sci-fi adventure novel, he is the bright spot (no pun intended) of the otherwise mediocre interpretation. (Yeah, it has a good cast - including Sam Rockwell - but still. Nah.) Marvin is unintentionally hilarious, sarcastic and melodramatic, and Alan Rickman is just great... Who knew depression can be so much fun?

"I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed."
"Well, we have something that may take your mind off it."
"It won't work, I have an exceptionally large mind."

"I've been talking to the ship's computer."
"And?"
"It hates me."



"Life? Don't talk to me about life!"




3. GERTY (Moon)


GERTY is the only one keeping company to Sam Rockwell in his one man show Moon. GERTY is programmed to help and take care of Sam and that's what he does, whatever it takes. What I like about GERTY the most is Kevin Spacey's soothing voice and the smiley face icons.

"I'm here to keep you safe, Sam. I want to help you."

"Sam, get some sleep. You're very tired."




2. Wall-E (Wall-E)


Wall-E isn't just a sidekick, a supporting character or a comic relief. He's the star of his own (fantastic!) film. Disney/Pixar's animators have really done a great job creating this little robot - he doesn't talk much, but we know how he's feeling, all the time.Wall-E is disarmingly cute and adorable, in a way that no machine has even been before or after. An honorable mention to his badass love interest EVE (when has love between artificial things ever been so real?) and MO, who's just funny ("Foreign contaminent. Foreign contaminent.").

"EEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEE!"


1. R2-D2 & C-3PO (Star Wars)


"I am C-3PO, human-cyborg relations. And this is my counterpart R2-D2." This is a legendary pair and the only option for number one. They work best together, so I didn't dare separate them here either. (Plus I couldn't decide which one I like more.) I don't think I need to explain myself here. They are some of the best characters throughout the Star Wars saga, and never fail to amuse and entertain, even then the humans (and the Gungans...) do. Their "dialogues" are always great, even though the other one doesn't even speak. Now I'll let myself go crazy with these quotes... 

"I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me."
"Beep!"
"Of course I've looked better."
  
"Just you reconsider playing that message for him!"
"Beep?"
"No, I don't think he likes you at all."
"Beep?"
"No, I don't like you either."
 
"R2, why did you have to be so brave?"
 
"For a mechanic, you seem to do an incessant amount of thinking."

"I beg your pardon, but what do you mean, 'naked?'"
"Beep!" 
"My parts are showing? Oh, my goodness, oh!"


No comments: