Jun 3, 2010

Sex and the City 2

Sex and the City 2 (2010)

Directed by Michael Patrick King. Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon.

Long story short: Well. They have marriage problems and then they go to Abu Dhabi.

Before yesterday the last four films I saw in cinema were Kick-Ass, Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and Prince of Persia. So I thought a little estrogen might be in order, before I turn into a man. Though I knew I'd probably enjoy it less than all the "guy movies". But I took this as a chance to see my friends, too. Friends, who were much more excited about the film that I was. Haha.

I was never a huge fan of the TV show. Sure, I watched an episode if I happened to open the tv at the right time, but not a fan, no. I also haven't seen the first movie, but it doesn't hurt much in a franchise like this. And well, the movie turned out to be surprisingly entertaining and I glanced at my watch only once.

Mostly the movie was just bumbling around without a real purpose. Samantha's menopause panic was amusing and she of course always has the best lines. Charlotte and Miranda didn't have much to do, but their drunken conversation about motherhood was actually almost touching! I've always found Carrie a bit annoying, for some reason. But I managed not to close my eyes and ears everytime she appeared on screen, like I promised to do beforehand. I also liked Big more now than I ever did when watching the show.


So, they went to Abu Dhabi and blah blah, everything was ah so glamorous and so on. The palaces and the ridiculous luxury were a bit, well, ridiculous (Abdul was funny, though), but the market place was charming, and all the little culture differences, too. And Samantha's grey-haired man was disturbingly good-looking. Haha.

Trailers of comedies are tricky. They have to catch the viewer's attention and assure them that the movie is funny, but doing so, they easily spoil the best jokes, so that they aren't funny anymore when actually watching the film. This happened again. For example, Samantha's joke about swallowing was funny, alright, but not so much after seeing it five times beforehand.

Not much more to say. My world wouldn't be any different even if this film hadn't been made, but it was a good movie to go see with your girlfriends. Now I can gladly return to less girly films. (The trailer of Inception looked INSANELY good. Come on, July 23th!)

"I have seeeeex!"

3 comments:

Harri said...

I don't know why I'm commenting about this, I don't have anything to say about the movie or the series (maybe I'm just avoiding studying...)

I've never watched the series but I've seen the first movie. And it was an extra-long version. After that I'm not going to watch this, one movie about those women is enough for me.

And yes, Inception loooks insanely and supercalifragilisticexpialidociously awesome! I'm really looking forward for seeing that one.

Helinä Laajalahti said...

I too have never watched the show, but I saw the first movie. Did not like it ;-) and I have no interest in paying to go see the sequel. If it happens that I come across the dvd when it comes out, I may take a look, but otherwise... blah.

The plan is to go see El secreto de sus ojos with a friend this weekend instead. I'm sure it will be a better option ;-)

But yes, I'm also looking forward to Nolan's Inception! Trailer looks brilliant.

Eeva said...

Harri: Anything to avoid studying, I know exactly what you're talking about... This film is definitely meant for the fans of the show and not for those looking for a great movie experience. This time a fell somewhere in the middle, and well, managed to sit through the movie and even had a few laughs.

Paivi: Your choice of film will no doubt be better. :D We rarely get smaller, less known films like that to our cinema, it's a shame...

And Inception, yes oh yes! This was one of those times when a trailer impressed me more than the movie I went to see. :D