Jun 22, 2010

The Official LOST Post (continued)

I'm so so sorry for the lack of posts this past week! It's been kind of hectic. I haven't been home much, and when I have, I've only felt like watching movies, not writing about them. Right now I can't wait to fall on my bed with only the company of a film and popcorn. I just hope I won't fall asleep. Working with kids is... tiring. Anyway! I finally finished the second part of my Lost post, so here it is.

1. Lost (continued)

This post is only about the characters and it'll be very long. Sorry. There are too many of them and I love them all too much, but let's see what I can do. Oh and SPOILER ALERT! I'm not holding back any details here.

Jack Shephard (Matthew Fox)
My favourite Jack moment above! That's where it all began, in a brilliant way. I pretty much disliked Jack throughout the first four seasons, because... Well. He was the heroic doctor, always wanting to save everyone and fix everything and blah blah blah. During season five, as he starts to loosen up a little, he begins to be more likable. One of the most amusing moments of the season is when Jack becomes a Dharma janitor (Sawyer making a little statement there, no doubt) and wipes the chalkboard. Haha. You had it coming. Jack redeemed himself in my eyes, in the end. Or in The End, to be specific. He was supposed to be that annoying hero in the beginning, so that he was able to make that amazing journey and become a man of faith - still saving people, but not in that whiny, obsessive, irritating kind of way.
I'll try to avoid the most obvious choices with these quotes, but this one is just legendary (Though I hate how Matthew Fox sounds like a teenage boy while delivering the line. He's voice goes like an octave up somewhere towards the end. Same happens with "This is our destiny!" in season 5. Highly annoying.):
"If we can't live together, we're gonna die alone."

Kate Austen (Evangeline Lilly)
Ah, the female lead of Lost. She, who always gets to play with the boys. I've had a lot of problems with Kate, too. Jack and Kate very often get the most attention and I never was too interested in their storylines. Kate has some really great moments in the early seasons, like her and Sawyer's 'I never' game is one of the best scenes ever. But well, then there was the love triangle, of course, and in her flashbacks she was running and hm, she was just a bit boring most of the time. And then she was stuck with that ugly grey shirt all season 6! I like Evangeline Lilly more than Kate, she seems very cool.
"Welcome to the wonderful world of not knowing what the hell is going on."

James "Sawyer" Ford (Josh Holloway)
Gotta love Sawyer. Not only is he handsome as hell and the most charismatic person on the island, but he also has a fascinating background, awesome storylines and some of the wittiest, funniest lines and spot on nicknames for everyone. During the first episodes I didn't really warm up to Sawyer. Frankly, I'm not sure how that's possible! His character arch is great. First, that chain-smoking jackass, who's closed up and doesn't want to get attached to anyone. Then, little by little, he begins to open up and become more human. And what do you know, by season 5 he's become a responsible leader. I loved that, and I loved him and Juliet together. I also loved that beneath that Dharma jumpsuit, Jim LaFleur was still good old Sawyer, always ready to kick ass if necessary. Juliet's "first death" in The Incident is heartbreaking. James mourning for her and CRYING on the pier in What Kate Does is even more heart-breaking. James, oh James. And I love Josh Holloway's giggles. Wonderfully out of character.
"Right behind you, jackass."

Hugo "Hurley" Reyes (Jorge Garcia)
Everybody loves Hugo. He's simply a lovable dude. So lovable that he could become almost boring. But no, fortunately Hurley isn't merely a comic relief, and there's a darker side to him, too. His past at the mental institution, connection to the numbers and ability to chat with dead people keep him interesting. And yet, we love him for being sweet and funny and caring and mostly just choosing to stay out of the way instead of participating in all the action. Jorge Garcia plays him in the most natural and effortless way. And seriously, who didn't shed at least a little tear, when Hurley starts sobbing in the end of The Candidate? God, that was sad.
"Dude, I know how this works. This is going to end with you and me running through the jungle screaming and crying. He catches me first because I'm heavy and I get cramps."

John Locke (Terry O'Quinn)
John Locke is no doubt one of the best characters of Lost (as Terry O'Quinn is one of the best actors). I took me quite a long time to realise that. Really only after his death I saw the tragedy that his life was. Poor poor John! Seriously! Always looking for things he thought he was supposed to do and struggling with his faith on destiny and the island. But in the end, I'd like to think he didn't die in vain. He was a huge contributor in Jack's transformation. And I like how Jack stood up for Locke in the final season - he'd finally gotten over his "Locke problem". Funniest Locke moment is in the finale of season 1, when they're getting the dynamite from the Black Rock. Jack is carefully lifting one and John asks if he's ever played Operation. And then he goes 'BZZZ!'. Haha. Below one of the coolest quotes of the show.
"Two players, two sides. One is light, one is dark."

Sayid Jarrah (Naveen Andrews)
Sayid is a badass.  He can fix anything if you only give him 'a minute'. He fights like a ninja and can be very, err, persuasive. He also has various true loves, who always seem to die. Poor Sayid. Sayid's storylines were often circling around the same question: is he good or bad, in the end? And yet Sayid-centric episodes are almost all very good! I'm not a huge fan of Enter 77, nor Economist, but anyway. Though I always liked the decent and righteous Sayid, the fifth season's evil infanticide Sayid (on that horrific purple women's shirt) and the last season's zombie Sayid were very cool, too! The coolest Sayid moment is in the season three finale, when he breaks that guy's neck with his legs, hands tied behind his back. Whoo! Take that red-shirt Other! (Oh and Naveen Anders sounds very peculiar when he speaks with his own very British accent.)
"My name is Sayid Jarrah and I am a torturer."

Sun & Jin Kwon (Yunjin Kim & Daniel Dae Kim)
  The best storylines of this couple took place in the early seasons - Jin turning from that horrible man to a wonderful husband and learning the dark secrets of Sun's past. After Jin "dies" in the freighter, their stories are only about them getting back together and when it finally happened, it didn't quite live up to the expectations - and how could it have? Anyway, I've enjoyed every reunion along the seasons. Jin and Sun's death has to be the saddest of all, right there with Charlie's death. Oooh, the tear streams... I'm not commenting on the issue of Jin choosing to die with Sun and thus letting their daughter become an orphan... but I kind of understand why he did it.
"Remember when all you had to give me was a flower?"

Benjamin Linus (Michael Emerson)
Ok. First, Michael Emerson is possibly the best actor on Lost and that's one reason why I rank Ben very high on my favourite list. Someone said somewhere that Emerson could read a phonebook and make it sound like Shakespeare and I seriously don't doubt it at all! Also Ben as a character is excellent - you never know what's going on with him, but he certainly doesn't seem trustworthy. All the way from his season 2 Henry Gale act, he's been interesting, unpredictable and always providing the audience with witty comments and fine monologues. Dr. Linus was one of my favourite episodes of the final season, which is mostly thanks to Michael Emerson.
"How many times do I have to tell you, John? I always have a plan."

Desmond Hume (Henry Ian Cusick)
Des has been competing for the first position on my favourite list with Sawyer pretty much from the moment of his introduction (the best introduction of a character EVER). I'm a fan of every Desmond-centric episode. The Constant is nearly a perfect episode, cultimating in that touching, touching phone call between Des and Penny. They are also my favourite couple of Lost. Desmond is just very cool. And he's a Scot. That's always a big plus, mates!
"Just saving the world, brother."

Charlie Pace (Dominic Monaghan)
Dominic Monaghan was one of the reasons I started to watch the show in the first place. He's cool. Thus it's no surprise that Charlie was a favourite of mine all the way until his heartbreaking death. Charlie is a pretty dark character, who definitely has his flaws, but Dominic plays him in a very charming and sympathetic way, making him very likable. He also works very well as comic relief. Though Fire + Water is my least favourite episode of all, because it makes me feel so bad, The Greatest Hits and The Moth are right at the other end.
"Dear diary... Still on the bloody island. Today I swallowed a bug."

Claire Littleton (Emilie De Ravin)
Claire was never favourite material. Sure, she was sweet and I always liked her, but she lacked the potential to develop into a strong, independent character. I say 'was sweet', because we were introduced to a fairly different Claire on season six. Which was quite cool, actually, as she was a total opposite of her former self. Can you imagine season-one-Claire beating the crap out of Kate? (Plus Sayid indifferently watching it happen and Locke violently shaking Caire afterwards.) Me neither!
"He's the only one who didn't abandon me."

Juliet Burke (Elizabeth Mitchell)
Juliet is my favourite female character! She started out as a mysterious Other, gradually proving herself decent and trustworthy. She can be strong and badass, but also gentle and caring. Again, I very much like the whole James/Juliet thing. We should've seen it coming! Really, they fit perfectly together and after LaFleur I was okay with Jack having Kate in the end, because after seeing him with Juliet, the thing James had with Kate didn't feel that special anymore. And I love Elizabeth Mitchell's lauhgter.
"It's very stressful being an Other."

 Richard Alpert (Nestor Carbonell)
I was never too big on Richard. Don't know why, really. He seemed kind of flat to me, and lacked personality. Maybe that's why I didn't love Ab Aeterno as much as a true Lost fan should have. Though I can't deny the beauty of the scene between him and his long-dead wife, communicating with the help of Hurley. I also liked the look on his face when he found his first grey hair.
"Ille qui nos omnes servabit."

Miles Straume (Ken Leung)
Miles equals awesome. When he was introduced on season 4 I didn't care about him at all, nor any other of the new freighter folk. Then season 5 and Some Like It Hoth came along and I realised that Miles equals awesome. Everything he did and said on the last season was awesome. Culminating in the following line in the finale...
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape."

Frank Lapidus (Jeff Fahey)
Poor Frank. He never got his own storylines and it seemed he was kept around only because of his ability to pilot certain vehicles. And yet nearly every time he opened his mouth something good came out. Like This is the weirdest damn funeral I've ever been to, or In case you haven't noticed, I'm a pilot. And of course...
"We're not going to Guam, are we?"

Daniel Faraday (Jeremy Davies)
For some reason I never really warmed up to Faraday. Of course he was good to have around - explaining the wonders of quantum physics in somewhat understandable English. But I was never too interested in his past and so on. The little romance between him and Charlotte didn't work for me: it felt forced and not believable. However, his death was wonderfully tragic and I enjoyed meeting him again on season 6, again talking stuff we hardly understood.
"When... is kind of a relative term."

Charlotte Lewis  (Rebecca Mader)
I like Charlotte's hair. I like her accent. I liked her as a little girl. But... that's pretty much all I like about her. She always felt too much like a supporting character, and I never grew to care about her very much. Thus her death didn't move me at all. Though she was fantastically creepy saying her This place is death line!
"I'm not allowed to eat chocolate before dinner."

Michael Dawson & Walt Lloyd (Harold Perrineau & Malcolm David Kelley)
There are very few black people on the island, am I right? And those few lucky ones aren't that lucky! Michael had some very bad times on the island (and off) and when he finally was let go, he really wasn't. As far as we know, he's still hanging around on the island as a ghost, doing ghost-y things. And Walt... Well, at least the got of the island all right, but he (nor us) never found out what was so special about him. But let's not loose our hopes just yet, as apparently Walt will appear on season 6 dvd box! (There's only one candidate for the character quote...)
"WAAAAAAAAALT!"

Boone Carlyle & Shannon Rutherford (Ian Somerholder & Maggie Grace)
These two of the most beautiful people on the island didn't stay around very long. But it was good as long as it lasted! Or if not good, then at least okay. Boone's death was a shock, as he was the first major character to go. I always liked how he raised his eye brows. Shannon's death was both a shock and a relief, as her thing with Sayid was always a bit arguable. But I like how she once called Boone a bone head. Haha. Almost as good as Sawyer's jackass line. And her screaming in The Pilot is almost iconic. Boone and Shannon might have been a bit shallow pair of characters and I didn't miss them much after they passed away, but I was always happy to meet them again in flashbacks, in John's druggy visions and in after life.
"My brother. Boone. God's freaking gift to humanity."

Rose & Bernard Nadler (L. Scott Caldwell & Sam Anderson)
This couple never got much screen time, but whenever they did, they rocked the house and won the symphaties of the audience. I can't really explain the charm of Rose and Bernand, but they are simply very very cool. I loved loved loved their little retirement home they put together for themselves, and I loved loved loved how they only wanted to stay out of trouble and be with each other. And I love love love the writers for making it happen. Plus Rose made me want to highfive her with this following line.
"If you say 'Live together, die alone' to me, Jack, I'm going to punch you in the face."

Jacob & brother (Mark Pellegrino & Titus Welliwer)
The beginning of Incident Part One is one of the coolest scenes ever. It was so typical that we were introduced to the mysterious Jacob just like that, and that he wasn't what we expected. I love the peaceful way he speaks. And his brother... In the end, I though it was awesome that we never learned his name. My guess is, he doesn't have one. Or if he had, it was some common, silly name like Bob or Vernon. Haha.
"Do you have any idea how badly I want to kill you?"
"Yes."


I'm intentionally left out some fairly important characters, like Mr Eko, Libby, Ana Lucia ja Rousseau, because I wouldn't have had much to say about them. Then again, I didn't say much about Charlotte or Lapidus either, but had to include them, as the rest of the freighter people were on the list, too. I will return once more with a punch of Top Fives, and then I'll leave Lost aside. Until the Marathon, I mean. Which isn't that far away in the future, really. So keep your sighs of relief inside a little while longer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oma suosikkini oli kyllä ekasta jaksosta lähtien Jack, ei voi mitään. Se fakta että jonkun vaan TÄYTYY ottaa vastuuta ja olla välillä vähän tylsä ei vähennä Jackin karismaa silmissäni yhtään. Toinen loistava hahmo on tietenkin Locke, siinäpä mies joka sopi viidakkoon..

Harri said...

Oh, all my six favourite characters (or actually seven) are in a row in the list. \o/ Yeah, I really do like Sayid, Benjamin, Sun, Jin, Charlie, Desmon and Claire...though I don't dislike any of the characters. Every one of them is great.

This post made me a bit nostalgic and it reminded me why I love this show so much. I'm eagerly waiting your next Lost-post.

Eeva said...

Mikaela: Jack taitaa yleisestikin jakaa mielipiteet aika vahvasti. Minuun makuuni Jack vain oli liikaa esillä ja Jackiin keskittyvät jaksot alkoivat nopeasti pursuta korvista... Mutta tietenkin Lost ei olisi Lost ilman Jackiä. Olihan hänellä erinomaisia hetkiä ja kuten sanoin, loppua kohti aloin todellakin pitää hänestä enemmän.

Harri: You're right, there're few truly bad character's on Lost! Though I didn't speak very kindly of some of them, they all still have a special place in my heart. Even Jack. ;)

Reta Anna Maria said...

Oi, Lost! Rakastin sitä ensimmäistä kautta, mutta sitten se meni kummalliseksi enkä jaksanut katsoa. Boonen kuolema oli minusta todella pysäyttävä kohta, ja pidän varsinkin siitä kappaleesta joka soitetaan kun Shannonnille kerrotaan Boonesta.
Olen samaa mieltä Jackista. Liian paha sankari-syndrooma.