Dec 22, 2010

A Christmas Tradition vol. 4: A Nightmare Before Christmas


"What's this? What's this?" asks Jack Skellington over and over again when he visits Christmas Town and finds everything oh so different from the things back home in Halloween Town. One wouldn't think a story featuring skeletons, boogie men, vampires and other spooks makes a very good Christmas tale. It does, though, if Tim Burton has something to do with it. Enough have been said about the film, we know how good it is. The songs are fantastic in a guaranteed dannyelfman-y way.

The 'What's This?' scene is the most christmassy sequence in the film, and it's also my favourite. It really captures the spirit of Christmas unexpectedly well! So I just let the lyrics to speak for me, because a) they'll probably get my point across better than I would and b) I'm busy wrapping presents and worrying if the ham we just bought will taste right.

 

What's this? What's this?
There's something very wrong
What's this?
There are people singing songs 

What's this?
The streets are lined with
Little creatures laughing
Everybody seems so happy
Have I possibly gone daffy?
What is this?
What's this? 

There are children throwing snowballs here
Instead of throwing heads
They're busy building toys
And absolutely no one's dead 

There's frost on every window
Oh, I can't believe my eyes
And in my bones I feel the warmth
That's coming from inside


2 comments:

June said...

Jack Skellington really is in his own class. And the whole movie of course. <3

Eeva said...

Yes! Jack is awesome! And I love his long, skinny legs and arms, he's like a spider at times. ;)