Jul 3, 2010

Smile, what's the use of crying?



If Charlie tells me to smile, I smile.

This wonderful, wonderful melody was composed by Chaplin for his film Modern Times (1936) - which is next on my watching list. The lyrics were written by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons in 1954. It's simply beautiful. And the lyrics are beautifully simple. I think I want this to be played at my funeral.

I love that video, too. It's impossible not to smile at that funny, charming, jovial fellow. Everything he does with his hat just cracks me up.

And I do smile! It's freaking beautiful outside, we have ice cream, I get to go to work again on Monday (I know, that's not normal. But my summer job isn't normal. It's awesome!) and Paris is only one month away! Not even this little hangover can stop me from smiling. (...Smile, though your head is aching, smile even though it's... half way down the toilet. Mine is not, just for your information. Just an example.)

Link

4 comments:

Harri said...

I love that song...wasn't it favourite song of Michael Jackson? Great song and I like Glee's version too. Btw I borrowed My Autobiography (in Finnish), though I haven't started reading it yet.

Hahaa, for me Paris is only...24 days away!

Eeva said...

Might've been, yeah! I like his version of the song too. And the Glee version of course.

Cool! I hope you like it as much as I do!

And really? :D Haha, great! Small world. How long are you staying?

Harri said...

I'm staying there 8 days, I do love the city even though I don't remember much about last visit.

Eeva said...

I'm flying on 5th of August... So I'll be there straight after you. :D It'll be my first time and I know I'll love it and I CAN'T WAAAAAAIIIIT!!