Apr 29, 2010

My TOP 5 favorite movie couples

I'm a sucker for a good movie romance. Here are my favorite movie couples of all time!



5. Cecilia & Robbie (Atonement)


If I had to name my favorite movie - strictly just one - I would probably refuse to do that because it's quite impossible, but if I absolutely HAD TO, I think I would say Atonement. It is a very beautiful film, both visually and story-wise. It's one of those films I just need to watch regularly. (The book is excellent, too.) Oh, and it really fired up my love for James McAvoy, who's been my favorite actor ever since. The story of Robbie and Cecilia is not the happiest one, quite the opposite, but they are granted their moments: the library scene (just smoldering hot), their hands secretly touching each other in the dinner table, when they meet after a long time in the cafeteria and Cecelia puts her hand in Robbie's cheek... Oh yes. I really want to watch it again, it's been too long!

"Robbie."
"Cecilia."
"I love you."
"I love you."


4. Jack & Ennis (Brokeback Mountain)


First, how awesome are Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger? Answer: very. Movies this slow usually mostly bore me, but this one I can watch again and again. It's really so much more than a "gay cowboy movie", ugh, I hate that term. It has a lot of beautiful moments, which Gyllenhaal/Ledger act just perfectly. When they meet for the first time after four years and just jump on each other... I could watch that scene a million times.

"You know, it could be like this, just like this, always."


3. Celine & Jesse (Before Sunrise/Before Sunset)


This couple stands out, as their story is less epic and dramatic than the rest - they are actually the only ones on this list, who stand a chance to live happily ever after. Sometimes realism rocks! I ADORE these two little movies. They always make me want to pack my bags and go wander around Europe alone. The chemistry between Celine and Jesse is SO REAL, their story feels SO REAL. This is the kind of thing I want to experience myself! They just click! They are not without their problems of course - there wouldn't be a movie if there weren't problems - but it feels REAL (hi, my name is Broken Record, nice to meet you!) and like it could actually happen in real life. YES. It's awesome. They have talked about making a third one, but only when everyone's stopped waiting for it. There was a gap of nine years between the first two, so I wouldn't hold my breath, but... I like where we were left in the end of the second one.

"Maybe we're only good at brief encounters, walking around in European cities in warm climate."


2. Satine & Christian (Moulin Rouge!)


I might be talking rubbish, but I dare say that Moulin Rouge! was the first movie I really fell in love with. It's also, no doubt, the movie I've watched the most times - I can't give you a number, I lost count a long time ago. This is earth-shattering, life-altering, larger-than-life love... and of course it ends in tears. Maybe that's what makes it so powerful. After all, that's what the whole movie is about - Christian telling their story that ended too soon. Ewan McGregor is just dreamy in this film. He's even better as this romantic, poor, sensitive young writer than he is as Obi-Wan Kenobi (and that's saying something!). His singing is just... aah! I just melt away everytime he starts singing Your Song. Or anything, really. Oh, where's that soundtrack, I feel like melting!

"Come what may, I will love you, until my dying day."


1. Rose & Jack (Titanic)


There's really no other option here. Number one has to be the most epic, the most heartbreaking, the most legendary love story of all. (Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler don't stand a chance here, for my opinion they were never meant for each other.) Titanic is just... well, it's Titanic! I don't think I need to explain myself. There won't probably ever be anything quite like Titanic, for me at least. I was just glancing through some of the lines, and almost got shivers just doing that. Jack and Rose just are Jack and Rose, and you can't really beat that. (I feel like saying something nasty about the main couple of Avatar - see, I can't even remember their names! - but I won't, because it would imply that I'm bitter because of the huge success of a film that relies only on special effects and boys and their toys and the greed of JC and because Titanic should always be Cameron's most successful film and it isn't anymore and it's stupid . And I'm not bitter. Eh... Am not! Much.) Titanic is a very special film for me, and 'epic love story' is practically just another way of saying Jack and Rose. Amen. (And Kate Winslet is my second favorite actor, right after Mr. McAvoy. Leo's not terrible either.)

"When the ship docks, I'm getting off with you."
"This is crazy."
"I know. It doesn't make any sense. That's why I trust it."

2 comments:

Eve said...

I've never seen Atonement but now I think I have to! I've been wanting to watch it for quite some time anyway... And I'm not familiar with Celine and Jesse either.

But the rest are pure gold! Jack and Ennis are such a beautiful couple. I can't even think about Brokeback Mountain without crying (well, maybe I can, but drama rocks). Satine and Christian are also great. I LOVED Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge! Those eyes...

Oh, Jack and Rose... I love Titanic (having three copies of it says something, I guess...) and I love Jack and Rose. It was destiny that brought me and Titanic together. I can't wait to write about that in my blog!

And I love lists. Hope to see more of them ;) (And hopefully writing a few myself!)

Eeva said...

Yes, watch Atonement! I can also recommend the book, in this case the book and the film complete each other very nicely. Before Sunrise & Sunset are great too, just two people walking around beautiful European cities, talking. Doesn't sound very exciting, but it works for me!

And yes, write about Titanic, I can't wait to read it! And write lists! :D I know I will.