Apr 14, 2011

What else I saw in March


Despicable Me (2010)

Another non-Disney/Pixar animation that managed to positively surprise me! Gru is a high-class villan, who's next trying to out-evil himself by stealing the Moon, when three little orphan girls show up to mess with his master plan. Gru with his Eastern-Europian-ish accent is undeniably funny, the girls just melt your heart in a snap, and the little yellow creatures... em, what are the little yellow creatures exactly...? Anyway. The movie is silly, funny, witty and surprisingly heart-warming too, when it comes to it. Oh, how I love animations. If I had to watch movies of only one genre for the rest of my life, I'd go with animations.

Midnight Express (1978)

Loosely based on a true story, Midnight Express tells about a young American, who ends up in prison in Turkey, after trying to smuggle drugs out of the country. The film follows his life in this alien and harsh place, bonding with some other inmates, as his family does all in their power to get him out, soon realizing it might be trickier than expected. An interesting and different watch. The moral of the story is obvious: never try to smuggle drugs out of Turkey. I won't end well...
Mean Girls 2 (2011)

Yeah, I know. I'm a horrible excuse for a human being. The original Mean Girls with Lindsey Lohan, Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried is kind of one of my guilty pleasures, so of course I had to check out this one, too, though I knew it would be lousy. They could've even tried to come up with a different plot, but everything was a poor imitation of the original movie, all the way to the 'personalities' of the Plastics: the queen bee, the dumb one and the neurotic one. Suddenly I realize I miss Lindsey Lohan! And that's saying something.
Buried (2010)

The idea in its simplicity is fascinating: Ryan Reanolds in a box for an hour and a half. But even though I was fairly entertained the whole time, in the end it failed to impress me. It was interesting to follow the resolving of the story in a constant close-up, but maybe it was the ending that pulled the rug under the feet of the whole idea. And as a budding claustrophobic I was expecting more anxiety and minor hyperventilation on my side, which didn't really happen at any point. Still, and alright film. Might've worked better in a cinema.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

What an odd movie. Not necessarily in a bad way, and definitely not in the David Lynch kind of way (fortunately (sorry, y'all)). In summary, it's about Scott meeting an awesome girl, but to get her he has to fight her seven evil exes, and more importantly, beat them. It's kind of funny how it begins as a somewhat normal movie and then suddenly some kung fu dude shows up and him and Scott fight for a while and afterwards they are like, "Well, that was weird. Now let's have a milkshake and go to the band rehearsal." I enjoyed the video game-ish-ness of it all, and even if it maybe wasn't the best movie of the year, it sure was quite original. With the thunderous music and the striking visuals this definitely should've been seen on big screen.

Roman Holiday (1953)

Let me introduce you to one of my embarrassingly numerous grey areas of cinma: the work of Audrey Hepburn. I'd previously only seen Breakfast at Tiffany's (some years ago, found it deadly boring), so I found it a bit hard to appreciate this actress, never mind that she's probably one of the most loved and adored movie stars of all time. Roman Holiday began her journey towards that status, and yes, I can see why. Gregory Peck is also very lovable. And a hundred extra points for that ending! Refreshing, if I might say so.
The Cove (2009)

Another great documentary I saw last month. It caused some more tears and anxiety about the cruelty and brutality of man - and frustration about the helplessness of myself. Again, you want to do something, but you don't know what or how. Making a difference it's just so damn hard in the end, and requires so much more than the nice and idealistic (and naive?) thought: "That's wrong. Someone should do something about that." Anyway, the documentary is very well made, and I will never ever again enjoy the dolphinarium of Särkänniemi, that's for sure...

3 comments:

Helinä Laajalahti said...

Buried worked amazingly well in cinema. I was so excited the whole time and I loved it, because I did not have high hopes on the film beforehand.

The Cove is terrible... just terrible :/ amazing documentary, but so terrible.

Anonymous said...

Yay, you watched the Midnight Express! I thought you might like it ;O) Scott Pilgrim is awesome, took me totally by surprise...

Eeva said...

Paivi: Easy to believe that! I watched Buried in the middle of the day, with the sun shining through my red curtains, making my room nice and pink-ish. Didn't really do justice to the claustrophobic illusion...

Mikaela: Yes! I like that kind of films, nice and twisted. ;)